MonetaVerde Community Forums
johnJohnsson

C Sharp Wallet project

Hi All, 

As mentioned earlier with the GUI Wallet Wrapper topic we have decided to create a brand new C Sharp Wallet which should ultimately replace the current SimpleWallet application which will give us way more control over its source code and can be separately maintained. We want to give you a view of work being done behind the curtains and we encourage you (if you'd like) to feedback and help out. Check the GitHub for the latest: https://github.com/JohnJohnssonnl/MonetaVerdeWalletC

@GrumpyBum and myself will be the main contributors to this project if you have questions, but feel free to comment and help out!

The following characteristics are applicable to the vision of the new wallet, but can be altered if needed throughout the programming process:

Functional:

- Basic functionality as with every wallet (balance/ transactions/ send coins etc.etc.)

- Command line based

- Linux/MacOS/Windows (focus on Windows when developing)

- GUI Wrapper ready

- Stable and secure

- <Some things we have in mind, but we cannot share because we don't know if we can accomplish them in time>;)

Technical:

- Cross platform due to .NET

- Full C# implementation, no C++ hocus pocus so broader audience for maintaining and commenting on code

- Support RPC layer and remote Daemon

- Independent from the core code, we want to be able to build the Wallet code without compiling the core and vice versa. 

- Secure storage of password (something to do with salt and pepper:P) and keys (not openly discussed:D)

Please do not hesitate to add your feature requests, but we cannot promise we can all take them into account as this project will not be a walk in the park and will require some serious time to complete, so we currently do not have deadline on when we're going to have a beta version ready. But again, please checkout the progress on the GitHub and we will also update when we have some more information/updates on this project.

Let us know your thoughts!

Best regards,

PS: We still need a good name for the wallet as we think SimpleWallet isn't as appealing as it can be. So if you have any suggestions?

• Like 3

What about like GreenWallet, or WalletVerde? idk, something like that might be appealing.

• Like 1

I've always been a fan of meaningful words that can be branded.

I'd like to throw the name Valise into the mix. MonetaVerde is Italian by name and although I don't think we should limit ourselves to branding everything as such, I think it can provide a solid base for naming conventions.

Wallet in Italian is Portafoglio which clearly is a base for the English word Portfolio. A beautiful sounding synonym for Portfolio is Valise. It's elegant sounding, easy to spell, and easy to remember.

• Like 2

I like the name greenwallet but I love the name Valise! Nice and appealing name imho.

I woud like to end the name giving input tomorrow afternoon (utc time) so we can start using the name in the code as such on monday. 

Any more contenders? 

I am not from the English speaking field, but I like both of the names you are proposing. Whatever you choose, you will not make a mistake.

But for me personally, the greenwallet makes more sense. The first time I met the word Valise :D

• Like 1

I think GreenWallet is very regular, common or standard whatever you call. We need a name that make some difference in the mass of cryptoworld. That is why my choice is VALISE. Make MonetaVerde Great again with Valise wallet.

• Like 1

Hmm...I was hoping for a bit more concensus on the name:P. It's clearly between GreenWallet and Valise now. @jakzodiac, do you have something you want to say or decide?

Thanks all for your opinions!

Yes I do. We should go with Boaty McBoatface. Just kidding.

@johnJohnsson, you built this project entirely on your own. Although @GrumpyBum has helped, it's been almost entirely you. As such I will not make the final call as its simply not my place.

It is up to you to make the final call. Choose what you think is right for your project and the community. We'll all be supportive of your choice no matter what. You built the first GUI for MonetaVerde and we can't thank you enough.

• Like 3

Thanks David for your nice words,

@all, I'm going to be bold and suggest the name: Valigetta. As i started translate.google.com and Valise is (as far as I found) French. I did translate that to Italian and found this name which I really like. Does anyone have a big issue with that name? Speak now or forever hold your peace;)

Best regards,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, johnJohnsson said:

@all, I'm going to be bold and suggest the name: Valigetta.

It sounds a little too hard to speak correctly...

On 09/02/2018 at 10:29 AM, johnJohnsson said:

PS: We still need a good name for the wallet as we think SimpleWallet isn't as appealing as it can be. So if you have any suggestions?

And so it's not Valigetta in my opinion. 

I do like GreenWallet. using this name will make that Moneta Green can't change it's name either. well... at leaste the "Green" part not! :)

Regards.

• Like 1

Lets look to "Valise" in a different way.

Valise in Life: a small traveling bag or suitcase that you can put your things. 

Valise in Crypto: a virtual bag or suitcase with encrypted security protection that you can put your virtual assets.

Valise in French: Valise

Valise in Spanish: Valija

Valise in Turkish: Valiz

Valise in Greek: βαλίτσα (pronunciation  is very similar in English) 

As you can see Valise is an international word that many languages have it with little different nuances. So I am still think that Valise is a good choice. However, you are the developer and you are the one who make this decision. GreenWallet is also a good choice but as I said before it is standard or casual. I mean I do not think that GreenWallet takes people's attention more than Valise. Best! 

• Thanks 2

remember that people (public or potential consumers) are always attracted to things or people that seem familiar, and the only thing that motivates them to choose a different product (new or innovative) is when the product has new features or in other words has an added value that differentiates it from others.

in this case we are talking about a wallet that fulfills a normal function, which is to protect the investments of our future clients.

So, now that I think about it, maybe the name of the wallet is not so important, I would say that greenwallet is a good name, but if you choose another name there is no problem!!  B|B| @johnJohnsson @mrwise

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ok everyone, 

First of all, thank you for all the input, I'm glad you all did. 

I took all pro's and cons into account and tried to envision it into a banner which should be visible with the GUI we make for the Wallet. I've made 2 simple banners (still no graphical designerxD,please, if you have graphical design skills = post:)):

GreenWalletBanner.png.b9b946a7aba9d23d315ecd050ec7ad91.png

Valise_GreenWallet.png.56006486633ad530988df819382a3055.png

I did my final though process and did take into account the words of @mrwise, and my final saying on this is the following (unless David overrules me;)):

Valise will be the "umbrella" under which we will roll out a set of applications (a suitcase for our journey which can contain multiple items:D) under which:

- The Wallet (CLI Wallet, GUI Wrapper) A.K.A. GreenWallet

- A CPU / GPU miner

- To be determined

So we will make a "Valise" available with this ecosystem of applications in it. What's your take on it? Below how the suite would look in overview (any other application can be fitted into this picture).

ValiseSuite.thumb.png.38111b10a068f8070b4745de932c6913.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow, I can't believe my GreenWallet idea has made it thus far. I think any of these ideas are very good! I do like the idea of the Valise Suite with some trickle down components. It all feels very MonetaVerde.

• Like 3

i think "greenwalet" is a very good name for the wallet and "green suite" is very good for the GUI

• Like 1

Hello all, just a quick progress update from the flight deck;)

The wallet is starting to take shape, we coded some fundamentals and we are currently in the progress of building the required connection with the Daemon. 

For the tech minded: we are currently establishing and prototyping the connection with the Daemon using JSON calls via the RPC layer. For those interested: we use the Visual Studio 2015 version to compile/develop our solution and integrate with Github using the extension so we can easily push the code when we feel it is stable enough for the world to see.

We also integrated the Travis CI to the GitHub repository so when we push code from VS to GitHub, Travis CI (link in the GitHub repository readme file) will automatically make a BUILD. We can use this later on if we want to roll out cross platform (Travis can build those binaries for multiple platforms).

Best regards,

JJ

• Like 3

Always the question...red or green....exciting to see a build progressingxD

AlwaysAQuestion.thumb.png.1cd8031ece456c3aefd8dd9b4a70248e.png

And green it is....LOL. Sorry all, just happy to finally being able to say hello to the Daemon via Json (thanks for your help @jakzodiacxD

AndGreenItIs_LOL.thumb.png.ef67841cbce9491961508bd4b2540829.png

• Like 6

Hi all. First post here, I read a bit through the forum, amazing work! I'm a newbie when it comes to cryptocurrencies (was an IT admin, now more of a consultant) so I will probably ask stupid questions. Anyway, I noticed some coins offer coin landing. XDN for example, has this option in its wallet. You've most certainly heard of bitconnect. I believe people are looking not only in mining, but investing coins as well. And it's not hard to believe that - banks have deposits for years so the idea of saving some money with profit at the end is now coded in our minds. Long story short I think such a landing option, if not considered already, is something that will grab a lot of attention for good. I can't tell however what lies behind such an option or how is it profitable for both sides.

• Like 1

just as a question how soon could a gui wallet/ miner be made ?

Edited by staymos
  • Like 1

Hi @staymos I think you are bringing up an excellent point. Basically the GUI wrapper itself is very easy. Ive created one already. See the GUI wrapper topic.

The new core wallet is another story. We are completely rewriting the wallet in c#, which makes that we are also learning as we go (the way keys are generated etc.).

Therefore as much as i'd love to set a deadline, we need to be further in the process in order to do so. I dont want to miss deadlines, i never did in my professional career, and we think it is worse to miss a deadline then bringing it a bit later.

In regards to the miner, @GrumpyBum is working on that. Maybe he can update you on that front.

I do want to stress that we are progressing and if you like to watch it, check GitHub!

Hope this at least gives you some insight.

Regards,

JJ

• Like 2