MonetaVerde Community Forums
johnJohnsson

GUI Wallet Wrapper

Hi All,

Behind the curtains the team is working on a GUI Wallet Wrapper. The reason for this move is that the learning curve to use the Simple Wallet in combination with the Daemon is too steep for non-it members and we want to facilitate the services to a broad audience. Hence the decision.

Currently I added the first design images as teaser as we add features every day and also added a POC to show we mean business.

Image 1: Basic design of the GUI

wallet_design.png.c077b649594ab82d979618a11483868f.png

Image 2: Proof Of Concept: GUI interaction with the wallet established

We already managed to interact with the CLI wallet and able to withdraw 3 MCN to the wallet by using the GUI and able to update the balance on the GUI:

wallet_design_POC.png.d0627c217ea5b5ca0e7bea1ee5bfeb78.png

We are now working on:

Updating blockheight, login with dialog, transactions with paymentId, sending of MCN to another person with dialog. Maybe also generate a QR code, just because it looks awesome (what do you think?)

Edit 27-1-2018 14:50 UTC: Added the login for the wallet (let me know what you think)

DesignLogin2.thumb.png.0f433b4aa3b39a7060b5830552fb95e8.png

Later we will hopefully be able to handle the communication with the daemon, wallet and miner(s) in one GUI.

Please feel free to add requests, remarks and questions about it!

PS: Currently we are working on the Windows build as we feel the most users are needing it are on this platform, in a later stage we will port this to a cross-platform GUI (Linux, Mac).

Best Regards,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi John,

Very nice job ! Sure it's better to use a GUI wallet rather than a command line wallet for non IT members !

I think it's a good idea to add a login just after openned the wallet. Security is necessary !

Is it possible to add a field "transaction" ?

Keep in shape ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aux6d said:

Hi John,

Very nice job ! Sure it's better to use a GUI wallet rather than a command line wallet for non IT members !

I think it's a good idea to add a login just after openned the wallet. Security is necessary !

Is it possible to add a field "transaction" ?

Keep in shape ;)

Thanks for your feedback. The transactions you  see now are demo data. So seeing them now is because of that (you can see no wallet address is showing on the left upper corner).you need to log in first to see your address, balance,  transactions (which are on the backlog for tomorrow to integrate) and further interaction.

I think the transaction id is an excellent addition which we will bear in mind. FYI: the idea is having a clean GUI, but with extra zoom options for detail.

We'll keep you posted!

Best regards,

• Like 2

Hi All,

I'm also planning to add a payment ID (as requested by @GrumpyBum);) to any outgoing transaction (64 char hex). I tested code below will do the trick, any other suggestions for a smarter way to do it?

private static string GenPaymId()
        {
            Random rdm = new Random();
            string hexValue = string.Empty;
            int num;

for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++)
            {
                num = rdm.Next(0, int.MaxValue);
                hexValue += num.ToString("X8");
            }

return hexValue;
        }

Furthermore I'm wondering if there are any opinions in regards to the Mixin parameter with payments (related to how anonimous you are when sending the coin). Basically if you choose 0 you will be less anonimous than 3, or should we make this optional for users to choose?

Any feedback is appreciated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, this will be great :)

Just had a random thought about this, if a payment ID was created (e.g. From MinerGate) then could run MD5 (of Similar) over the name to convert to 64HEX.

This the payment id is reversible back to the original name is ever so needed in the future, although the user should have an idea it will allow this to be done at a software level if and when v2.0 comes out, easy decoding of Wallet payment ID information :)

Yell out if you need too, I will be working on several things later today for MonetaVerde

• Like 2

Thanks @GrumpyBum, I probably will ask you some favors later regarding this! Would be way better indeed:D. For now I was succesfully able to send 0.3 MCN from wallet A to wallet B using the GUIB|

Sneak peek behind the curtains:

Image 1: Login required first before anything else (check the "create wallet" when the wallet does not exist yet). @aux6d, hopefully this answers your remarks about login ;)

designWorkFlow1.thumb.png.467581cba287ee185a62ed70f0c47bb3.png

Image 2: Logged in, the send coins button is enabled, fill in the receiver address and payment ID (optional) + coins to send.

designWorkFlow2.thumb.png.bcca8421e8cc31a0c494a2f1c37063db.png

(PS: offcourse I cannot show all functionality here, but logout etc. is also covered already for example).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi All, 

Just another update on the GUI wallet wrapper: 

The integration with the minerC application has been done, this means, you can now (when you logged in your wallet) go to Start Mining, the system will now ask you on how many threads you want to mine. Just to give an example how much difference it makes: on 1 thread (default) I get 30 H/S and with 5 threads (I have 6 cores) I get 125 to 135 H/S. Not bad for only CPU mining.

See screenshots below (reminder: the hashrate will be shown on the right lower corner of the GUI. 

Image 1: Start the mining

designMining.thumb.png.e7ff8e20309fef0f26815f311abed272.png

Image 2: Mining started:

designMining2.thumb.png.d8937193494ccd612ed363af090777c8.png

The next part which will be addressed is the "recent transactions". I'll keep you posted!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Quick update:

Doing some testing with the mining on the GUI on the latest codeB|

+ added incoming transactions (still need some polishing)

+ added autorefresh (5 second interval)

testDriveGUI.thumb.png.2e7ab57dfb7af850a3d8b5dfac5406f9.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi All, 

I can finally say I'm wrapping up work for the GUI Wrapper. I think it's stable enough to be tested.

But together with @GrumpyBum and @jakzodiac we've decided that we do not want to release it yet, but we're planning on rewriting the entire wallet (!!!!!) and making sure the GUI Wrapper interacts with this new wallet.Below the reason why:

As you probably know, we currently have the "SimpleWallet" application which also the GUI Wrapper talks with, but we feel we want to have more control over its code and make it more maintainable as it currently is too integrated in other applications in the ecosystem. So for example the Daemon files are required for the SimpleWallet.

Furthermore, and here it gets a bit technical, the code is written in CPP (C ++), and it uses a lot of dependencies (libraries). This means a very integrated, difficult maintainable solution. 

That's what we intend to change, so our gameplan is to rewrite the Wallet in C# (.NET) so we can diverge its code away from the core. In this way we're able to separately maintain the wallet periodically without the need to build the entire suite, so this also works vice versa, we're able to work on the core without also having to worry about the wallet code.

Also we are keeping the code from the wallet away from the GUI Wrapper so these 2 can also be maintained independently.

We hope you understand, but be assured that what's been done is complete and for those interested, please check the GitHub:

https://github.com/JohnJohnssonnl/MonetaVerdeGUI

Best regards,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1