MonetaVerde Community Forums
jakzodiac

Is MonetaVerde Dead?

This question has been posted quite a bit around the web over the last few years. Up until December 1st, 2017, the answer was "mostly". It was dead in the sense that it was not actively developer nor available on any exchanges - something that tends to kill cryptocurrencies.

However, it was and still to this day - actively mined. This means the blockchain itself is still quite alive and maintains a perceived value - making it ripe for renewal.

MonetaVerde is no longer dead in the sense that it is now actively developed but it is currently not available on any exchanges.

• Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 1:07 PM, tbagloni said:

Im really happy to hear this.. Im mining MonetaVerde on my smartphone and pc :)

Me too, after reading that I started to mine MCN again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tinocurione said:

Are there any imagined or known reasons why the MonetaVerde to a certain extent failed or was abandoned?

I'll take a quick attempt at answering this.  Though my response will be incomplete and speculative, I think there are two glaring reasons why.  If an expert, or someone who has been following since the beginning, or anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free to correct me or add to this: 

1.  Infinite supply -  It's my understanding that the initial design of MCN didn't have a cap limit to the amount of coins.  This, by itself can be suggested to be a killer to a currency.  A currency relies on some sort of scarcity.  If there are an infinite amount of Ferrari's, then no one is going to spend the same amount of money that they would spend on a house to own one.  Why? ... Because there are an infinite amount of them... you can get, in theory, an infinite amount of them just for yourself, as can your neighbor and anyone else all at the same time.  Why would you trade something that is hard to come by (capital/money/currency/time) for something that has an infinite supply?  In the vast majority of circumstances, no 'right' minded or finance minded individual would suggest it'd be wise to.

1.5 Valuation - The above also leads to valuation.  With an infinite supply, it's practically impossible to calculate a market cap.  With no supply cap, there can be no market cap.  Without being able to define a market cap, the vast majority of serious investors will not take it seriously.  (What is an infinite supply of beanie babies or tulips or Zimbabwe banknotes worth to the end user? ... eventually nothing.)  With no serious investors, there is no serious investment capital, and therefore no practical means of raising money or having people interested to invest in it.

2.  Development / Direction - The second reason would be a lack of development and direction.  The strongest/most well built building in the world will eventually crumble if it's not actively maintained.  The technology that MCN is built on is proven.  While that statement can be debated, there are already several long standing cryptos built on it, and at least one can be said to be unquestionably "successful". But without continued development and maintenance, anything will crumble.  The original developers stopped developing and maintaining MCN long before it "died" (stopped being actively traded/represented on exchanges... had mining pools drop it... etc.)... just look at the time stamps for the last commit/release of new versions vs. the last time it was actively traded.

Luckily, the new devs are fixing/have fixed these problems.  They are planning to set a max cap, creating scarcity, and are actively developing and updating the foundation.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Harold Nootz said:

I'll take a quick attempt at answering this.  Though my response will be incomplete and speculative, I think there are two glaring reasons why.  If an expert, or someone who has been following since the beginning, or anyone else wants to chime in, please feel free to correct me or add to this: 

1.  Infinite supply -  It's my understanding that the initial design of MCN didn't have a cap limit to the amount of coins.  This, by itself can be suggested to be a killer to a currency.  A currency relies on some sort of scarcity.  If there are an infinite amount of Ferrari's, then no one is going to spend the same amount of money that they would spend on a house to own one.  Why? ... Because there are an infinite amount of them... you can get, in theory, an infinite amount of them just for yourself, as can your neighbor and anyone else all at the same time.  Why would you trade something that is hard to come by (capital/money/currency/time) for something that has an infinite supply?  In the vast majority of circumstances, no 'right' minded or finance minded individual would suggest it'd be wise to.

1.5 Valuation - The above also leads to valuation.  With an infinite supply, it's practically impossible to calculate a market cap.  With no supply cap, there can be no market cap.  Without being able to define a market cap, the vast majority of serious investors will not take it seriously.  (What is an infinite supply of beanie babies or tulips or Zimbabwe banknotes worth to the end user? ... eventually nothing.)  With no serious investors, there is no serious investment capital, and therefore no practical means of raising money or having people interested to invest in it.

2.  Development / Direction - The second reason would be a lack of development and direction.  The strongest/most well built building in the world will eventually crumble if it's not actively maintained.  The technology that MCN is built on is proven.  While that statement can be debated, there are already several long standing cryptos built on it, and at least one can be said to be unquestionably "successful". But without continued development and maintenance, anything will crumble.  The original developers stopped developing and maintaining MCN long before it "died" (stopped being actively traded/represented on exchanges... had mining pools drop it... etc.)... just look at the time stamps for the last commit/release of new versions vs. the last time it was actively traded.

Luckily, the new devs are fixing/have fixed these problems.  They are planning to set a max cap, creating scarcity, and are actively developing and updating the foundation.  

Couldn't have said it any better;)

• Like 2