MonetaVerde Community Forums
GrumpyBum

Sync' MonetaVerde Blockchain

Hi All,

Quick notes on downloading and operating the MonetaVerde Blockchain, I have done this on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Server Edition.

Note that I also run my primary BCN wallet on a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 Server that I built last week, I have noted this to be 3 times faster on Ubuntu than Windows.

ALWAYS use an x64 Operating System due to the size of the Blockchain file, you will hurt on x86 if it even works!

The following steps have been completed on an Intel Core i5 Laptop with 8GB RAM running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS x64 Server Edition (no GUI), this was upgraded after it failed with only 4GB RAM.

Additionally this was done on a WIndows 10 Laptop, Core i7 with 16GB RAM and it was not as fast as the Ubuntu option. However both systems work and are fully sync'd.

First you need the monetaverded daemon, the original from 2014 still works and is available from here, https://sourceforge.net/projects/monetaverde/

No installation is required, this works out of the box. Handy little daemon and wallet tool that have me on my feet with this blockchain.

Note that once extracted to the system I ran the initial sync' as admin, this would not play nice otherwise. I have used /usr/bin for data but any directory will do

sudo mkdir /usr/bin/mcn/ | sudo mkdir /usr/bin/mcn/data | sudo chmod 777 /usr/bin/mcn/data

There are comments around this forum about available seed nodes, for initial sync' I used the one that was fastest from my location and then added a secondary

sudo /usr/bin/mcn/monetaverded --add-exclusive-node 35.227.28.16:26080 --seed-node 176.9.47.243:8580 --data-dir /usr/bin/mcn/data/

Note that this took over 2 days and updated the blockchain.bin to 5.66GB so please allow for some time.

WARNING!!! To pause or close when finished, type "exit" and press Enter. If you use Ctrl+C you risk loosing your progress! Exiting half way through sync' is okay using exit

Next lesson learned, DO NOT create a wallet until blockchain has been downloaded or you may get errors and find this wallet file to be useless!

Once the sync' is completed you do not need to run as admin again, I recommend that you reboot and then run the daemon as an admin user without admin mode / sudo

To run the daemon drop the option for a dedicated seed node as this is only going to create unwanted head aches

/usr/bin/mcn/monetaverded --data-dir /usr/bin/mcn/data --seed-node 176.9.47.243:8580 --seed-node 66.85.133.156:26080 --seed-node 35.227.28.16:26080

Again, avoid the headache and DO NOT use --start-mining or --mining-threads! I will cover this soon, if you have issues and need additional logging then run the following

/usr/bin/mcn/monetaverded --data-dir /usr/bin/mcn/data --seed-node 176.9.47.243:8580 --seed-node 66.85.133.156:26080 --seed-node 35.227.28.16:26080 --extra-messages-file /usr/bin/mcn/extendedinfo.log

Wait for your daemon to sync' as this may be out by a few dozen blocks or more in the time it was off-line, this will not take long but if you need to know whats going on type 'set_log 4', set_log 4 can also be used for troubleshooting, default is set_log 0 and you can go between 0 and 4 depending on how much information you desire.

REMEMBER: Always close by typing exit and NEVER Ctrl+C

So let's get started, you need a wallet but first a quick security step - create a new user and run your wallet separate to the account running the daemon, I use OpenSSH to get 2 separate session at the same time on Ubuntu Server

sudo adduser monetaverde

Logon as your separate user, ensuring they have no admin rights, do not add them to sudo allowed, protect your wallet.

When creating a new wallet this will sync block chain with the daemon (hence note above of wait until daemon idle), this will take 10 or 15 minutes

mkdir ~/mymcn | /usr/bin/mcn/simplewallet --generate-new-wallet ~/mymcn/mymcn.wallet.bin --password abc123xyz890

Once this has finished sync'ing type 'save' so that you are not flooding your RAM. Note that this will save when you exit. Type exit, DO NOT use Ctrl+C

To access your wallet in the future you need to use the open wallet command for this,

/usr/bin/mcn/simplewallet --wallet-file ~/mymcn/mymcn.wallet.bin --password abc123xyz890

NOTE, Backup the directory you saved your wallet too as this holds your private key and allows you to resync' your wallet if you should ever loose it.

NEVER show anyone your private key, this is yours! If you release it to anyone then they could resync your wallet and steal you funds. Keep it Safe

In the basic sense of your wallet you have 2 important commands, bc_height will show the blockchain height and this show be the same at the public block chain, refresh will update your blockchain sync and give you your balance.

Now you will note that I said earlier not to mine via the daemon! You are best to do this via your wallet. Once your wallet is open type start_mining 5 (5 is the number of threads, I have an 8 core CPU, that is 4 plus Hyper Threading to make 8 threads), so if you only have 4 threads available then use start_mining 2 as not to crash your daemon

Hope this gets you started if you have not done so already, I know this is a very basic guide but once the wiki is running I will add full information.

mcn_wal.png

Edited by GrumpyBum
Wallet Screenshot Added
  • Like 1

the page tells me that the file has a malware, despite that I downloaded it

Hi @CERON, I could understand your hesitation, but it does appear to be safe. I'm not sure why it gives that warning. I can't assure you that it is safe, but plenty have used it before you without any issues. 

Welcome @Joelstradamus, it sounds like you are missing the parameters mentioned above when running the software. Specifically:

--add-exclusive-node 35.227.28.16:26080

Right now, we're still building a new Command-line Suite, so everyone's using the original which tries to connect to a seed node that is no longer in use. If you use the parameter --add-exclusive-node along with that IP, it connects to our new seed node.

If you have trouble following the instructions let me know, I'll try to make you a video or something.

• Thanks 1

@jakzodiac  I already downloaded the file, in a few hours when I was at home I started the synchronization.

for users with slow internet connections, this is the link to download files from mega

for windows (64 bits):  https://mega.nz/#!O1piGZzT!AF2Q2fjK5KvdHyHhp2JYpOcRuFz0sAIHBC1nab_5oJc

for linux:  https://mega.nz/#!CsgyATCJ!tHXTO2LCoBJyIS5RPOc1RiyZ6CC22LaTDhi5IiryYGY

for MAC:  https://mega.nz/#!n4BF0bCZ!8kG1yg428-DlV_dVWjhClGOmulPcmJKFtlPF5b1sges

• Like 1

Would I be wasting my time trying to sync this on an old laptop with Windows 7? I know how to reach the DOS command window but I don't know how to program it to connect to the node you are suggesting. I'm looking forward to the command suite that's being developed but if you guys have a moment, could you help me understand how I can sync this on my computer... for the purpose of learning. Thanks!

37 minutes ago, tinocurione said:

Would I be wasting my time trying to sync this on an old laptop with Windows 7? I know how to reach the DOS command window but I don't know how to program it to connect to the node you are suggesting. I'm looking forward to the command suite that's being developed but if you guys have a moment, could you help me understand how I can sync this on my computer... for the purpose of learning. Thanks!

Good Morning,

Yes it will be possible to sync this on an old Windows 7 Laptop but it could be slow, I certainly recommend at least 8GB RAM but I have also tested on Windows 10 with 4GB RAM successfully, noting that it used all the available RAM and left the system unusable for anything else.

Download the Windows daemon from the SourceForge link above and to Sync you can run the following (The most basic method)

monetaverded.exe --add-exclusive-node 35.227.28.16:26080 --seed-node 176.9.47.243:8580

Once Sync is complete then you can create a Wallet and / or look at other daemon options.

All options are available if you run the following,

monetaverded.exe --help

Enjoy your day :)

Thank you @GrumpyBum for taking the time to help. I have the daemon, and this is obviously the first step. Then I go to the Windows start button and type CMD to get the dos command window. I change directories until I have the right folder and then I type what you have suggested:

monetaverded.exe --help

but it gives me an error. Am I supposed to enter directly into the daemon (double-clicking monetaverde.exe)? If so, how do I stop the daemon so that I can enter the command for the node? Or do I need to create a batch file? I really am a very low level novice!!! But a fast learner!

I only have 2GB RAM! Ouch! I know. Out of curiosity, is it possible to program or command the computer to only use 1GB RAM so that the computer doesn't lock up? Or if I understood correctly, perhaps I can just download the blockchain a little at a time by typing "exit" when I need to shutdown the computer or do other activities?

Wow! I created a batch file and copied the node command that you shared and it says "synchronization start" in yellow letters! My task manager is showing that half the CPU power is being used for monetaverde.exe so I'm guessing that the sync is taking place. Hope these steps help others who are facing my same beginning.

Edited by tinocurione
  • Like 1

@tinocurione - What error is it giving you when you run   monetaverded --help  ?  Also, unfortunately when it loads the blockchain, it seems to load it all at once, so while it's possible to sync it a little at a time, it'll still start to run out of room once you get halfway through.  The good news is that the devs are working on updating the methods that'll stop the need for using the daemon locally.  For the time being, it may be best (considering your h/s speed and device limitations) to use minergate.com to mine in a pool.  That'll be your best bet for getting some coins in the meantime.

Also with minergate, you can use several different programs (instead of minergate's software) which will only use a very small footprint of your computer, and is much more configurable for your needs.

• Thanks 1

@Harold Nootz Thank you for the heads up! I see your point. With such little RAM, I won't be able to get the full blockchain. So, yes, I will get back to mining instead. I'm assuming that other avenues like "bootstrap" or p2p torrents to download the updated blockchain are not available?

@tinocurione  No, I don't think it's available anywhere for direct download like that.  I could put a copy of it online, but my understanding is that your computer would still have to load and run through it when you open the daemon.  So, it'd speed up the process significantly, but you'd still be left with the same RAM limitation problem.

The only benefits to running the daemon on your computer is to make a local wallet and to be able to solo mine.  With your hash rate it probably wouldn't make sense to solo mine (it's already dependent on luck, and you're not getting too many chances to get lucky, so it'd take incredible luck for it to be worthwhile for you).  And if you're going to mine in a pool, the only way to do it at the moment (although this will be changing soon) is to mine off of minergate, which provides a wallet for you.   So from my understanding, there really wouldn't be much benefit for you play with the daemon anyway.  Best bet is to put those resources towards mining on the pool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a heads up for the other members who want to use the daemon locally. Please make sure you have at least 12 GB RAM  at your disposal because the daemon will load the entire blockchain into memory which takes about 10 gb RAM. Like @Harold Nootz pointed out you, for time being, can stick to external tools, the use of the local daemon is for example in my case only to program the interaction for the GUI wrapper around the simplewallet and test this with small amounts between wallets. Once we got the remote daemon alive and kicking we will make sure the wallets have an easy connection and setup.

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Harold Nootz and @johnJohnsson I appreciate the insights. I have returned to Minergate for the moment. So the question at this point is how will I be able to create a wallet without the blockchain on my computer? I imagine the answer is that something is being worked out for this. I will return to this thread if in the future if I am able to access a more qualified computer because I like to learn the process of things.

@tinocurione - At the moment you'll just have to stick with the one MinerGate creates for you when you start mining with them.  To be honest, I don't know if they create an actual wallet for you, or if they just ledger an account out for you, I don't believe you can have someone transfer MCN to you with it, but in every other way it functions just as a wallet should.  Your mined coins go to it, and you can transfer (or withdraw) out of it. 

As you guessed, other options are being worked on by the devs.  I'm not entirely sure how the GUI wallet will work, it's likely you'll have to load the blockchain with it, but perhaps it'll be more ram friendly. The web wallet will allow you to bypass this problem entirely and once it's ready, you'll be able to just transfer the coins from MinerGate to it.  Either way, it'll definitely be worth waiting for one of these options and in the mean time, start mining directly to MinerGate.  Personally, for you I'd recommend XMRig or one of the similar programs as a mining program, and point it to MinerGate's servers (instead of using their app which will take up a much larger 'footprint' on your computer's resources but definitely makes it much easier), but either way would work.  Since you like playing around and learning the processes, you may even want to try both.  You can even "merge mine" so you can get MCN and another coin at the same time without any additional resources being used.  If you'd like, send me a message (or tag me in a new thread) and I'll help you through any aspect of this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi @tinocurione. tomorrow i will react more in detail because i now react using my mobile.

@Harold Nootz, thanks for your thorough explanation and I want to add to this that the GUI we are building will both be compatible with running the daemon offline, but is ready to use a remote daemon connection. Basically you then still have an offline wallet and do not have to worry about the resource eating monster that we call the daemon. @GrumpyBum had been working on the daemon part and I hope he can add to this with some details. I hope this makes sense to both.

Best regards,

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tinocurione said:

Thank you @Harold Nootz and @johnJohnsson I appreciate the insights. I have returned to Minergate for the moment. So the question at this point is how will I be able to create a wallet without the blockchain on my computer? I imagine the answer is that something is being worked out for this. I will return to this thread if in the future if I am able to access a more qualified computer because I like to learn the process of things.

Hi @tinocurione this is certainly something that we all want to see addressed, it is possible today but there are security vulnerabilities that make it very high risk to do.

Currently @jakzodiac is working on the JSON RPC 2.0 Security to resolve this and I am working on a security model to be able to safely offer online wallets.

• Like 1

@Harold Nootz @johnJohnsson @GrumpyBum Thank you Gentlemen! Looking forward to testing out what's being worked on! @Harold Nootz I will continue to work with Minergate for the very reasons you mentioned, as I'm also mining the INF8 and when I can, I use the cell-phones around me to mine some extra MCN when the phones are not being used. Minergate has it's obvious pros and cons.

• Like 3

Can a blockchain be synced on a different, more powerful, computer and then transferred to my present laptop? Is this the same concept as the bootstrap? Once a blockchain is stored on my laptop, would I still need lots of RAM to continue syncing and working with it?

45 minutes ago, tinocurione said:

Can a blockchain be synced on a different, more powerful, computer and then transferred to my present laptop? Is this the same concept as the bootstrap? Once a blockchain is stored on my laptop, would I still need lots of RAM to continue syncing and working with it?

Yes, you still need the high RAM specs if you have the blockchain locally on a daemon. But work is done behind the curtains which we cannot reveil yet...exciting times ahead!;)

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, johnJohnsson said:

Yes, you still need the high RAM specs if you have the blockchain locally on a daemon. But work is done behind the curtains which we cannot reveil yet...exciting times ahead!;)

I think sometimes stubbornness comes from impatience! :D Working on it! Looking forward to the exciting times!!! ;) But I'm also kind of curious to see what a blockchain looks like.

• Like 1